Recipe card dish clothes
Grisha’s maternal grandmother used to keep track of all the cookies she made each year for Christmas. All dozens and dozens of them. She’d write down the recipe and the quantity and sometimes timeless notes like “so-so.” When Grisha’s parents visited, I asked them to bring the cards so I could photograph some of these cookie-cards to make dishcloths.
I took pictures of the cards on white foam board and then used iPhoto to overexpose the background. This might be a misuse of the word overexpose, but it is definitely the misuse-slash-haphazard strategy that makes real artists and designs sick to their stomachs. So in an effort to let my language reflect my abilities: I basically just wiggled the controls until the background was white. You could probably do it too!
Then I put the pictures into a powerpoint that was sized to be a yard of fabric. I adjusted them so that there could be two dishcloths per yard. I then clunkily saved this as a PDF, and then saved that PDF as a jpeg and then uploaded it onto Spoonflower.
The fabric arrived. I snipped it in half (Grisha would model the half, not the snipping), and hemmed the edges.
Viola! New dishcloths. Now only if I had a new stove to go with them.