Skip to content

Experimenting with Inkodye

April 22, 2012

1-4) My experiments with Inkodye in chronological order!

5) Seven cigarette stains from our apartments previous owner. My photography teacher wants us to incorporate more odd numbers of things into our homework pictures.

My first attempts to use Inkodye on paper were a flop on several levels. The dye wasn’t uniformly soaked up, leaving brushstrokes and splotches where I poured it. With the blue card, I just laid some burlap and the images of broken egg shells (inverted and printed on a transparency) on top with no weights to hold it down. I tried again with the same transparency and burlap on another piece of paper with orange dye – and this time I used coins as weights. This improved the contact between the image and the paper and everything looked sharper, except for the photo I was trying to transfer. I also ruined a few pages when scrubbing the dye off the card and ended up with shredded paper. I wouldn’t recommend trying Inkodye on paper.

For my second round of experimentation, I downloaded Gimp to invert my images and they looked much better than the Preview versions (not pictured).

I used the leftover fabric from my lampshade and it soaked up the dye evenly. I also borrowed the glass from a picture frame to weight down the images which made a huge difference. Developing the image outside only took a few minutes because it was very sunny and the image looked even better after rinsing, drying and a quick ironing.

My second photo did not come out as well as the first. I attribute this again to laziness: I poured the Inkodye into a wet-ish cup and used a damp paintbrush (I was too impatient to thoroughly dry them after my first attempt). I noticed that the dye consistency was less viscous and that the color developed less intense. But hey, it’s good to know that you could water down Inkodye and to control the color (compare the blues between attempts 3 and 4 above).

I need to break away from using images from the wedding in my crafts. Maybe one day I can collect enough architectural images and make some cool pillows. Or botanical seat covers. Or upholster furniture with old maps, like these huge Inkodye projects!

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 42 other followers

%d bloggers like this: